Thursday, October 22, 2015

In Process...

Hard to believe it has been over two months since my last post. I've been hard at work in the studio and the fruits of my labor were just hung this week at the Mattatuck Museum for my upcoming solo show An Alchemic View.

Since I've been deep "in process", it felt fitting to show you just that.....process pix. Enjoy!


This was a day of rubbing pigment on to the surface of a painting and spraying it with natural 
water-based binders. 


Between layers of graphite and volcanic ash, I applied Japanese gold and some drawing.




Several of my new works embody this ground treatment of indigo, ground marble and carbon on prepared raw canvas. Some areas intentionally soak through and others sit on the surface.



 

Layers of carborundum, liquid copper (copper powder and hide glue), cochineal washes, some cement and not the kitchen sink...but almost! This piece is still in progress so it will not be in this show. I often work on 10 pieces at once and the work that isn't finished- just isn't finished and it will show up sooner or later. 


This detail is from one of the Layers of Laguna works. The surfaces of these paintings are both delicate and gritty, pristine and weathered, near and far. I soaked, scraped, rubbed, painted, oxidized and scoured......


Silica, quartz, cement, azurite, indigo...a cellulose chalk ground... this is just a detail....

I am simply loving honing the unique craft of my new work. I feel more like a sculptor on some days than a painter...........and that's A-OK with me! 





No comments:

Post a Comment